Wenceslas Square in Prague
Wenceslas Square is one of the main urban areas, business and cultural center in its new location in Prague. There took place many historical events, then the traditional place for demonstrations, celebrations and other social events. The area is named in honor of St. Wenceslas, the patron saint of Bohemia.
This place was known earlier as Horse Market, because during the Middle Ages there were markets of the horses. Then in 1848 at the suggestion of Charles Havlicek Borowski, it was renamed Svatovatslavske namesti (Wenceslas Square area).
Wenceslas Square is more boulevard than a square. In form it is very long (750 m, the total area of 45,000 sq. m) rectangle, which stretches from northwest to southeast. He rises to the south-east, where lies the majestic neoclassical Czech National Museum. North-western end rests on the border between New Place and Old Town.
Over the square stands a statue of St. Wenceslas, created by Josef Vaclav Myslbekom in the years 1887-1924 and located in front of the National Museum. The figure of St. Wenceslas is surrounded with other Czech patron saints that are installed on a smart pedestal: Saint Ludmila, Saint Agnes Bohemia, St. Prokop, and Saint Adalbert of Prague.
On the pedestal, designed by architect Alois Dryaka, traced the inscription: “Saint Wenceslas, the Czech lands governor, Prince ours, will not let die neither we nor our descendants.”
Today on Wenceslas Square, the hotel is located, offices, shops, currency exchange offices and restaurants of fast food. To the displeasure of local residents and city officials, the street is also a popular destination for “moths”, coming late in the evening at his craft. In the vicinity of Wenceslas Square is a lot of strip clubs, making Prague a popular place for stag.
Under the Wenceslas Square pass through the Prague metro, and there are outlets of the two busiest subway stations, Museum and Mustek. Tram rails laid along the streets, were dismantled in 1980, a proposal again to put the tram is still pending. Currently, only the tram crosses the area. Most of the streets open to vehicular traffic, north-western part of it – walking.